What you will learn
As an MHFAider® you will be able to:
- Recognise those that may be experiencing poor mental health and provide them with first-level support and early intervention
- Encourage a person to identify and access sources of professional help and other supports
- Practise active listening and empathy
- Have a conversation with improved mental health literacy around language and stigma
- Discuss the role in depth, including boundaries and confidentiality
- Practise self-care
Attending the course
The training will take place across four flexible sessions and will include group activities, case studies, discussion, and skills practice, for both online and in person attendance. Each session lasts approximately 3hrs and 45mins with breaks included.
What you will receive
You will receive a learner bundle that includes:
- A hardcopy workbook to support your learning during the course
- A digital MHFA manual that you can access during and after the course
- Access to the MHFAider® support package for three years including the MHFAider Support App® and exclusive content and online events
- An MHFAider® lanyard and credit card sized Mental Health First Aid action plan card
Once you complete the Mental Health First Aid course, you can test your knowledge and build your confidence in your role as an MHFAider® with the internationally recognised MHFAider® qualification, RSPH Level 3 Award in Mental Health First Aid.
- Mental Health First Aid and the action plan
- The MHFAider® role and self-care
- Helpful and unhelpful language
- Useful models to support the role
- What influences mental health?
- What is anxiety?
- Crisis first aid
- Active listening and empathy
- What are eating disorders?
- What is self-harm?
- What is substance misuse?
- Applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan
- What is depression?
- What is suicide?
- Crisis first aid continued
- What is psychosis?
- Recovery and lived experience
- Boundaries in the MHFAider® role
- Moving forward in the MHFAider® role
- My MHFA action plan
Please choose from the dates below. If you can’t see a date that works for you please email [email protected] and we will do our best to make arrangements that are convenient for you.